Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The challenge with stories...

The challenge with coming up with story ideas? That was something that was pitched as a potential blog post topic, and upon reading that statement I immediately began to question it.

And no, this does not mean to sound arrogant in any way. It just points out something that I feel like most prospective journalists aren't fully aware of. That news comes and finds you, you just need to be aware of it when you see it.

I say this from the standpoint of the sports editor of The New Hampshire and somebody who has been an active part of the newspaper since my arrival in Durham a little over a year ago. From that experience I have come to learn that, while it may indeed be difficult at times to ultimately decide how newsworthy a story really is, a lot of it really will come straight to you as long as you pay attention, keep an open mind and just use common sense. There have been countless of times when my co-editor and I have been sitting together, unsure of what stories to pitch, when we came to the realization that a lot of stuff has been gently placed into our laps.

Anyways, that is just my thought on this issue. I feel the notion that coming up with story ideas as challenging is a little over blown at times, simply because most of the news is placed right into your lap. All you need is a bit of an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment