Tuesday, September 18, 2012

So, about leads.

The idea of leads frustrate me. I shall just put that out there immediately. And this has nothing to do with the fact that leads are anything overly complicated, to the point where I just can't fathom a proper way of doing them. No, writing in nearly all forms has never been that daunting of a task to me.

You see though, leads are frustrating because there is so much pressure packed into so many words. Within a lead you are not only conveying information, which I have grown accustmed to doing since I started writing in the newspaper and for this class, but you are also working on trying to capture the eye of an audience who will judge your work purely based off of whether your lead was enticing enough.

Now I am aware that this is not usually a testament towards your work as a writer, as you can only go so far towards making a news story on cookies interesting. Yet the fact that there is so much pressure packed into those words always has me second guessing myself.

Then, of course, when I look at other newspaper and their leads I come to the realization that I am not too far off from getting there. So, it is that idea that gives me some hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment